Music Theory for Dummies

Music Theory for Dummies

Book - 2007
Average Rating:
Rate this:
Many people grimace at the sound of music theory. It can conjure up bad memories of grade school music classes, rattle the brains of college students, and make self-taught musicians feel self-defeated. Music Theory may seem tedious and unnecessary, especially since not many people can read music.

Luckily , Music Theory for Dummies shows you the fun and easy way to understanding the concepts needed to compose, deconstruct, and comprehend music. This helpful guide will give you a great grasp of:

Note value and counting notes Treble and bass clefs Time signatures and measures Naturalizing the rhythm Tempo and dynamic Tone, color, and harmonics Half steps and whole steps Harmonic and melodic intervals Key signatures and circles of fifths Scales, chords, and their progressions Elements of form Music theory's fascinating history

This friendly guide not only explores these concepts, it provides examples of music to compliment them so you can hear how they sound firsthand. With a bonus CD that demonstrates these ideas with musical excerpts on guitar and piano, this hands-on resource will prove to you that music theory is as enjoyable as it is useful. Don't get discouraged by the seemingly complicated written structure. With Music Theory for Dummies , understanding music has never been easier!

Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.

Publisher: Hoboken, NJ : Wiley Pub., c2007
ISBN: 9780764578380
Call Number: 781 P6435m
Characteristics: xviii, 336 p. : ill., music ; 24 cm + 1 sound disc (digital ; 4 3/4 in.)
Additional Contributors: Day, Holly


From the critics

Community Activity


Add a Comment

Apr 19, 2011

If you're serious about learning music theory, I suggest either looking elsewhere, or only use this book as a supplement to a more in-depth course. 90% of this book are the things you learn in the first month or two of an actual music theory class, and the remaining 10% is stuff you can't hope to use until you have mastered that first 90%.

It's not that anything in this book is useless, it's just the equivalent of learning your alphabet and starting to spell.

A great alternative is "Contemporary Music Theory" by Mark Harrison, though that's focused on jazz, rock, and pop methods and bypasses some things entirely, like reading rhythm, and doesn't spend one second on anything "classical."


Add Age Suitability

There are no ages for this title yet.


Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.


Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.


Add a Quote

There are no quotes for this title yet.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number


Subject Headings


Find it at SFPL

To Top