Growing up Mindful
Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and ResilienceBook - 2016
Introducing mindfulness into the lives of our children and teenagers is perhaps the greatest gift we can offer. Mindfulness builds emotional intelligence, boosts happiness, increases curiosity and engagement, reduces anxiety and depression, soothes the pain of trauma, and helps kids (and adults) focus, learn, and make better choices. If that weren't enough, research now shows that mindfulness significantly enhances what psychologists call "flourishing"--the opposite of depression and avoidance.
Growing Up Mindful helps parents, educators, and counselors learn how to embody and share the skills of mindfulness that will empower our children with resilience throughout their lives. With more than 75 accessible exercises and practices, along with adaptations for the individual needs of a wide range of children and teens, this inspiring guidebook brings you road-tested insights and tools for:
* Tapping the power of the imagination, play, and creativity
* Body-based mindfulness and movement practices
* Creatively overcoming resistance and gaining kids' buy-in
* The mindful use of technology and social media
* Building the foundation through your own personal practice
* "Attending" and "Befriending"--two positive responses to stress
* Setting intentions and managing expectations of new practitioners
* Sharing mindfulness in a formal setting including schools and workplaces
* Extending our practice into the larger communities we share
"Seeds of mindfulness can be planted in anyone at any time--seeds that under the right conditions can burst and bloom into a life of compassion and connection," writes Dr. Willard. Growing Up Mindful invites you to "embark on something incredible and world-changing" as you join the growing community of adults bringing wonder, curiosity, and reflection back into childhood and adolescence.